Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A return to normality?







Thailand's problems are by no means over, but there is a certain reassurance in seeing thousands of Bangkok residents getting together yesterday, in a spirit of mutual cooperation, to clean up the parts of Bangkok affected by the recent strife. Many gathered, some with their own brooms, to sweep the streets of the debris left in the aftermath of the chaos. Others wiped off, or painted over, graffiti left on brickwork. A few western faces were spotted assisting with the cleanup.

Further to my post of yesterday the  Bangkok Skytrain has announced it will return to normal operating hours as of May 25. I had thought the curfew had been extended for a few more days, so I am not sure if that can be right. The situation seems to be fluid at the moment.

In more good news, Siam Paragon announced its reopening on May 25. I must admit it is an impressive shopping mall and I have enjoyed the food court of Siam Paragon on a few occasions, and, occasionally made use of the internet center on the ground floor. I also got excellent service from the Kasikorn bank branch located on the ground floor, which is where I opened my first Thai bank account a couple of years ago. The staff there could not have been more polite or helpful. That said, I don't think I have ever bought anything other than food there, being more of a Chatuchak market person myself. Nonetheless, it is an important social center and meeting place for many Bangkokians and its reopening will be an important signal that life is returning to a semblance of  normality in the City of Angels.




Thai Connoisseur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to many spam comments I have been obliged to moderate comments. Apologies to all regular commentators but I know you will understand.